‘How do I find peace within myself?’ or how do I become peaceful
There are a number of different techniques that are commonly recommended and helpful in becoming more peaceful: meditation, forgiveness, being in nature, mantras, breathing techniques, and many more. All of these are useful, but I find that a lot of people, after practicing these techniques, are still not peaceful.
For many, the reason might be that they have not made peace with their understanding of God. In many of the world’s traditions, cultures and societies, the common concept of God has been a projection of humanness on to Source . This is termed ‘anthropomorphism’. Even if one does not have a religious background, the traditional idea of God with human traits prevails. Below are some examples:
If our idea of God is not based on the limiting concepts above and we dismiss the idea of humanness, then we open the doors to a different concept of God:
- God is a conscious presence in everybody and in all things.
- It is the very nature of God to love unconditionally; God is Unconditional love. Love is God seeing Itself in Its own creation.
- It is the very nature of God to create, expand, and grow. God does not have a choice to do so or not. God creates by becoming the creation — this is the Universal Creative Process. God created us by becoming us and the same creative abilities are in our nature too. This means that the ability to create our own lives is in every one of us.
- It is the very nature of God to be intelligent. God does not have to decide or figure out anything, it simply knows.
- It is the very nature of God to be everywhere present, all the time.
- It is the very nature of God to be aware of our wants, needs and desires. We do not have to ask for anything, we only have to accept that[S4] everything we want is already provided. All is given all of the time.
- God does not choose to give; it is Its very nature to give all.
The key here is to realize that the actions of God are Its nature; they are not based on a conscious decision to do or be something or not. The following examples may help to clarify this :
- Water does not decide to have the properties of liquidity, it simply IS liquid.
- A flower does not decide to bloom, it simply blooms.
- A dog does not decide to be a dog because someone asks or prays to it to be a dog, it is simply a dog and it cannot be anything else.
Inner peace is found when we can release the idea that someone or something is judging us or keeping score of our lives, and when we can stop worrying about doing the right thing and/or trying to appease the ego of a false deity.
Inner peace is found when we move more toward the idea of the true Nature of God and what God really is.
.Jim is a regular contributor to the Ashland Daily Tidings Inner Peace Column, conducts workshops, is a frequent Guest Speaker for various churches and organizations, and has a current book “A Spiritual Masters Guide to Life”. He makes his home in Southern Oregon
Jim can be reached at Jim@jimhatton.com